Sunday, October 11, 2009

Kirroughtree

Finding myself down Dumfries way last week, I took the opportunity to pop along to one of the farthest from Glasgow 7 Stanes - Kirroughtree, the home of the infamous McMoab.

Now I had to hire a steed for this jaunt as I didnt take the Dawg with me, but there is a small if functional bike shop at the car park, where they offered to lend me a nice Orange 5, for £40. With my CCard in their mits and my feet on the pedals I headed off to the trails..


Route
I did the Black Craigs route, which is the longest available at the park, which took me around 4hrs. A very nice route, if a touch long for my lardy ass, 95% ST, with only a few dods of fireroad to suffer. McMoab proved far too tricky for me, more a walk over the rocks than a cycle, but a nice diversion from the normal track all the same. This route differed a bit from normal 7Stanes fair, not so many berms or tabletop jumps, more emphasis on single track. Some buggering big hills mind you.

Mr McMoab

Summary
Highlight: "The Twister"
Lowlight: My lack of fitness, I was ready to call it a day with 3km to go.
Summary: Another triumph for the forest commission - shame it is so far away!
Ride Rating: 8/10

Stats
Date: 7/10/09
Pedaling time: 4hrs
Distance: ?
Max speed: ?
Total ascent: ?
Total descent: ?
Puncture count: 0
Bike shop: At the car park (opens from 10am)
Cafe: Lots of choice in Newton Stewart and their is one on site too
Riders: DH

Driving from Glasgow
Distance: 86 miles
Travel time: 2.5hrs
Directions: Google Maps



1 comment:

Route Locations


View biking in a larger map